Friday, January 25, 2008

omg! Updates!

How about those Giants?

For some reason I've really become excited by the NFL playoffs this year. Of course, it happens from time-to-time, but it certainly made for an exciting Sunday. As I watched the game in a room full of people rooting against the Patriots and the Giants, I came away as the sole celebrator! Hmmm, maybe I should try and be more friendly to my new Californian peers, and not pour salt into their football wounds, nah! Besides, the Giants going to the Super Bowl make this displaced New Yorker pulsate with pride! Besides, I'm missing so many Islander games (though they haven't done to spectacular in my absence) I need someone to root for. Though NHL allstar game and skills competition is this weekend!

After the games, and some margaritas, a few of us went to catch Cloverfield. There have been reports of this film, all shot with a hand held camera, was making audience members vomit. I felt unconcerned and with a belly full of chips and margaritas decided to kill time before the movie by having a Pinkberry... What's a Pinkberry you ask? Why it's a frozen yogurt, but not the kind that became all the rage in the mid 1990's. This is actually yogurt, served like soft-ice cream and you choose all sorts of fresh fruit or cereals to mix into it. This was actually my second helping in two days. It's that good.

It turns out that it wasn't that good. My stomach felt woozy as we found our seats for the film. And before long, I was taken out of enjoying the movie to a gripping nausea. I had to actually advert my eyes to the ceiling at times, and pray that I would not vomit on the lap of the two girls sitting on each side of me. That's really not the kind of early first impression you want to leave on people. Though I would have been memorable... Maybe I should have done it. If I ever go back in time, I will. You have my word...

As for Cloverfield, I actually enjoyed it, barring the nausea. It actually had the semblance of a story, which I at least was engaged enough in to accept the monster attack on Manhattan. I wouldn't sit through it again, but for one night it was just what the doctor ordered. Again, except for the nausea.

The rest of the week has been eventful in the sense I've been busy with school projects. For some wonderful reason I seem to been on a creative kick, and have been coming up with story ideas for short films, and writing profusely. In fact, it seems not having a job for a week or two while I get into the flow of school also seems like just what the doctor ordered! Turns out to feel good, I just need to be a student forever.

I shot my first exercise over at Greg's the other night, and it came out decent, for an in-camera-editing assignment. We couldn't use sound or edit, so it had to be shot in order. It was fun working with Greg because it turns out he's a very good actor, and it was a definite throw back to TCH days in the 'stra... better known as Hofstra.

Not much else to report, this weekend I'm shooting my second exercise, and prepping for my first short film project. Meanwhile I'm writing, and exploring the town. Also debating which day of Cochella I should attend in late April... huge music fest, lots of great bands, I'm leaning towards Saturday due to Portishead and Deathcab being the headliners!



One of these days I'll add pictures to this blog. Wouldn't that be visually stimulating?

No comments: