Friday, October 17, 2008

Taken this all the way to the White House

I hope everyone watched the third, and final, Presidential Debates that took place at Hofstra University. I was so proud when Hofstra was named at the location, but even more exctied on Wednesday night, as at a cafeteria I proudly wore my 'Stra t-shirt as Obama and that old guy both thanked Hofstra for having them. Many years ago, Hillary Clinton stopped by our campus when she was running for the senate, and in my last year, Bill Clinton came by to give a talk. Unfortunately I was unable to score tix to see Bill, but I remember how it felt to have him on campus. It's not easy for me to feel pride for a school. Let's face it, I've been to a lot. But for some reason, Hofstra has always been a place I'm proud of. I think it's because of the surprises I found there, I ended up transferring there, unexpectantly. All I ever thought of the school was that it was a Long Island school located next to the Nassau Colesieum, which didn't hurt my reasoning for going there. But really, it was the people I met there, some of my best friends, who I realized, as I watched the debate, have all gone on to their own paths, but whatever bond that was fused there, in 916b, our suite, is enough to keep us connected. Also, Hofstra changed me academically. A lot of people don't discover themselves in college, but really, my interests in writing, literature, art, and cinema seemed to grow on that campus. I remember how excited I was to go back, and start my Masters their after I had started teaching. (Even though I started the film program I am in now, I still wish I could have finished that degree, even if it would only be for piece of mind). I had professors their who helped me focus on my aspirations- I guess that's what makes me reflect on my time their with such fondness. It's so different reflecting on Hofstra, then say my time in high school, Hofstra was such a short blast of time, and a lot of my memories take place outside the school- my few years of living in Nassau County was a vehicle to so many shows, movies, adventures, and a better appreciation for living so much closer to New York City.
But that's in the past- and today- (though I'm still in school, forever in school it seems) I'm like so many people, pirched, watching as we get closer and closer to an Election, that I think many of use agree and realize is the most important of our lives... to see Obama at Hofstra just gave me a good feeling, a little more of that hope that I (and many others) have been able to attach to him.

Today, I recieved my voting site, as a California resident. I figure I needed to change my luck from the last election- ( I think I was in Stony Brook then, but Stony Brook was no Hofstra, not by a long shot).

Other updates:
We are finishing sound design on our little films, next Saturday is our big screening. Then it's on to the 2nd half of the semester. It's tiring, I'd be lying if I hadn't noticed I crossed the two month's to go marker before I get to return to NY for the holidays...Soon enough.

No comments: