Sunday, October 5, 2008

Two Minutes for Euro Tripping

Don't mind the pun in the title of this entry.

So first, we are deep into post-production on the film, we're in good shape as we are under the maximum 5 and half minutes and have a week and half to work on sound- So all should be good and we'll be ready for the big screen screening on campus on the 25th!

I went to a roller derby match the other night - which was quite a fun night. It was my friend's birthday, and she's been going non-stop to Los Angeles Doll House for an aggressive and violent sport that involves girl on roller skates knocking each other over. Also they're all a bit alternative styled girls which makes it even more exciting! I really appreciated the hard work the entire DIY league goes through to make it happen. I rooted for #516 because her name was Long Island Lolita, so I figured she was my home town hero. Skating and hard hitting - if only there was another sport like that, starting a new season this weekend...

Oh right!

I've caught a little bit of the opening games for the NHL - this season two teams were playing two games in Prague and two teams playing games in Stockholm - this is the second year that the league has sent teams to open games in Europe. This has started the debate on whether the NHL is ready to start expansion in the European market. It would be a whole division with teams in hockey hot beds like Prague, Stockholm, Helsinki - amongst others...

I think this would be a brilliant move. Frankly, the league is so niche that I find admitting hockey is my favorite sport gets laughs - this used to be the reaction soccer fans only received. The climate is perfect to push the boundaries of professional sports. There's a global community - ever connected through internet and economy- the NHL can take the progressive step forward by creating the closet thing to a global league. The fact that Boston Bruins could have game versus a team in Belarus or the Calgary Flames could have a game versus the Prague Vampires (just a thought) is fascinating. Free agent signings will become a whole new game- as European players (who make up 30% of the league can be NHLers in their home countries or how about players looking for top dollar being able to sigh huge NHL contracts in EUROS !

The league is already too big at 30 teams and I suppose the NHL would probably try to do expansion, which would bump the league to 34 or 36 depending on what they were thinking. I would hope that they would look to sell off certain franchises first. I rather see teams in Scandinavia or Russia then in Phoenix, Florida and Atlanta. I realize this could also lead to the moving of my beloved New York Islanders to London or Helsinki - which would lead me to throwing chairs around my apartment, like when my favorite players are traded.

Baseball has the World Series, which really doesn't involve the world. Football as the SUPER bowl which when you think about sounds like the cheesiest name for a championship game- The Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy in sports, and I think it's time it had the chance to be won the in the countries were the passion for the game is explosive.

No comments: