Monday, September 8, 2008

the 59 Sound

Thank you The Gaslight Anthem for existing - seriously, their first album is the best thing I heard last year, their E.P. that came out in February had only four songs, but every time I hear one, it's like the first time again. They have the perfect formula they mix the nostalgia and blue collar honesty of Bruce Springsteen, but it's pop punk. So pretty much the perfect band.



Every time I feel this way about a young, raw, unfiltered band - I wonder if this is the last band that will give me those music chills of deep music and spiritual satisfaction... But really, there's got to be a point when you get too old and everything the kids are listening to sounds like noise or some cliche crap like that...I hope not, but if The Gaslight Anthem is the end of the line it will be a good way to go out.

Other than that I've been listening to If by Mindless Self Indulgence for some manic wacky hard rock, The Academy Is... for the guilty pleasure pop punk factor and the new Conor Oberst, which for some reason, I like way more than his last Bright Eyes album.

I realize music isn't the dominate life style it once was... well, it's still always there, I'm just not surrounded by people who's world is rooted in the songs they love. But I'm still listening, still searching for that next song. I even had the MTV video awards on in the background last night, which was depressing. I usually feel sick after watching mtv award shows, but that had to be the most boring one ever- aside from maybe the opening monologue there was no spark, no sense of MTV madness that was once expected from those shows- granted this was a decade ago. It looked like there was maybe 100 people in the audience, and why when Linkin Park won their award for best rock video did only two people go up on stage... aren't there like seven guys in that band?

Ah well, in other news I finished casting tonight and again am exhausted, but am looking forward to this weekend when production finally starts. I wrote this script in April, I've never written something I made this far in advanced, it will be fun to see what comes out of it.

I still don't like Sarah Palin.

I want to see Obama start stepping up again.

And I want to see Burn After Reading this weekend, if there's time...

Oh, and the NHL starts up in just one month!

Enough of this, back to my 59 Sound!

No comments: