Monday, September 1, 2008

And I thought I'd have tons of free time

So in my “final” (ha hahahahahaah ha) splurge before I put my frivolous spending habits on lock down for the new semester, I picked up some mindless t.v. shows (How I Met Your Mother) which I was introduced to do and found addicting like… some sort of crack-cocain type of candy… skittles (but not the yellow or green ones). I also finally bought Freaks and Geeks – which I have been meaning to watch for a few years now. Why did I wait so long to watch his show- it’s just about everything I ever wanted in a smart teen drama set in 1980. Those were the days.

I figure this is around the time my fictional older brother, Alex, the metal head was in middle school, but still, it’s nice to see that time period presented in such a perfect little show.

So week one of classes has been a tidal wave of information and tasks. This is a good thing, it feels like the program takes it up to all new notches this semester, making it feel like more than just film school- it’s like film life. So this should be good for me. Lots to work on, lots of writing to get done, and not a lot of time to fall into existential crisis. Hopefully, I can save all those for Christmas Break.

But my transition week falls in the shadow of a very optimistic Democratic National Convention. I found myself actually trying to get home to catch some impressive speeches by Hil-Dog, Michelle Obama, and using dvr and you tube to it’s fullest to catch the ones I missed.

I had Josh come over with his beer to watch Obama’s speech late Thursday night. This not being a place for political blogging, unless I freak out on November 4th –which is possible, I have to say that the wounds of four years ago are gone and I am once again excited and hopeful, and will be for at least the next two months or so. I just feel like it’s so easy to become jaded with our politics and easy to take on a nihilistic attitude to our nation’s future, but I have felt for a long time that Obama (though not clear yet what he’ll bring) represents the greatest opportunity for a positive change for us, that it seems impossible not to be excited. Of course, I thought there were impossibilities in past elections as well, but we’re here, and Al Gore is off being an environmental super hero like Toxie, the Toxic Avenger.

OF course the Republican’s have done a wonderful job of creating a quite a circus around their v.p. (and I think it was pretty sneaky of Palin to call her self a “hockey-mom” – to her dismay I am not duped into voting for her ticket just because she mentioned hockey.

I had a good weekend, but actually feel like it’s time for September. I have to prepare for the lack of fall weather this year- it’s been a constant reminder that cool hoodie wearin’ nights, and pumpkin ale, and going back to school (student-wise and teaching-wise) means we are into Fall. So I am ready to work on my film, my writing, I have a new (old but free!) futon to help make my apartment feel more lively, and plenty of show on the CW to not watch. I miss Veronica Mars, now more than ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy you didn't fall for the hockey thing, because I was truly afraid you might.

TOXIE?? i miss you.